Paint prep question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint prep question
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 18:54:36 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,
I've spent the day stripping laquer paint from the
body of my spitfire (also all of the original enamel
that the DPO didn't strip off of the car initially).
I'm almost half way done (not including the bonnet,
which is destined for the trash heap). And I've
sprayed the bare areas with a POR-15 product (metal
ready) which will protect it temporarily with a zinc
phosphate coating (and also etches the metal &
neutralizes flash rusting).

Anyhow. I know that the zinc phosphate residue will
wash off in any rain that we get, also that body shops
tend to let your car sit around for a week before they
even look at it. (And the 80% humidity won't help it
out any.)

What can I do to prevent the body from rusting for a
few days? I know where I can get some self-etching
primer, but even it is hydroscopic. But is hydroscopic
primer still better than nothing? Or should I just go
ahead and do a Harry Home-owner spray job with enamel
in a can as a humidity barrier and let them re-sand it
when they get the car? Or keep driving by the body
shop and spraying it with WD-40 until they decide to
touch it?

It's supposed to rain tomorrow night or Monday, and
I've got a place to stow it temporarily, but once it
goes into the shop, they just let the cars sit in the
lot.

So any input would be appreciated,
-Terry & a naked '76 spitfire
http://phonecard.yahoo.com/