returning to work

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: returning to work
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@home.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 13:33:07 -0500
Hi all, Dave Terrick here.  I've been AWOL for some time on these lists as I
have been busy organizing the local sports car club race series.   I also had a
passing fling with a Lotus Super 7 chassis but I am again back to working on my
GT6+, 1968.

I had a 2 week vacation in the Bay Area of California.  Can anyone top "La
Honda Road/Skyline Drive" off of California Hwy 1?  My brother in law has
"accepted" my offer to leave a sports car down there in the winter - hey, I get
2 vacations out of it, but I just can't see driving a super 7 2500 miles just
to do more driving.  So, the GT6 it is.

It is in the high 80's here with a humidex over 105 (I swear you can "swim" in
the air) so what am I doing?  Welding, of course.  I'm already hot.

Both rear wheel arches have been cut and pasted (the rotoflex design has a
shock mount reinforcement plate on this part that rusts out) with donor bits
from a 67 spit.  My welding has progressed to the point that grinding is now an
option.  The left rear fender has already been replaced once and all the inner
structure is in good shape.  I'm finishing a small piece that joins the trunk
floor, fender, and fender stiffener.  The steelcraft lower fender replacement
piece fits well, too well in fact.  This fender had been tagged once (rust
started under the bondo methinks) and it's a bit pregnant below the marker
light.  I'm trying to decide if I relieve the bulge or allow for it in the
welding.  I'll work on that shortly.

This is a long weekend for us in Canada.  By the end of Monday I plan to have
all the welding done, the fuel tank replaced and plumbed in.  I may even get
the car started.  However, I still have no suspension on the rear so the
roadtest and safety will likely be a month or so away.  I'm looking forward to
fall!

Dave Terrick