2nd gear grinding

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 2nd gear grinding
From: "Gary Hutton" <hutton@evansville.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:34:36 -0500
Hi all,

My 76 single-rail transmission has started to grind when I downshift
from third and I suspect that this is the synchronizer going out, but
wanted to consult the list.  It upshifts without any problem which I
don't understand - don't the synchronizers come into play on the
upshift?  I've tried double-clutching to circumvent the grind, but
either I'm not doing it correctly or it doesn't work in this situation.
My only solution so far is to really drop the speed before downshifting.
If I continue to drive it with the occasional grind, am I chewing up my
second gear also?  Any suggestions and/or comments are appreciated.
That grinding sound takes a whole lot of pleasure out of my driving!

TIA,

Gary Hutton
FM50132U