Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift

To: <jgruber@demainsoft.com>
Subject: Re: pulling an engine without a engine lift
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:33:26 -0400
Fwiw, I've pulled Spitfire engines with no equipment other then a board and
another person.  I wouldn't recommend that method again.  With the board on our
shoulders across the Spitfire, the engine magically gained a lot of weight.
Then the board snapped, dropping the engine down onto the Spitfire.  Luckily it
was still in the engine bay area, so damage was minimal.  I'd suggest using a
handy tree limb or such to lift the engine from the car (the bonnet is in the
way for this job btw), and then rolling the car out from under the engine.

Once the engine is seperated, it's relatively light for an engine.  Two people
can cuss it up onto a work bench or such.  Though I prefer using an engine
stand.  However, prefering using an engine stand doesn't lend itself that well
to a Spitfire engine because it is physically so small. You'll see what I mean
when you try to fit it up to the stand.

If you're willing to pull the engine and try rebuilding it, then you can
successfully do it.  Keep *lots* of records.  As in a notebook dedicated to the
disassembly of your engine.  Clean things up, and put them away in an organized
manner.  If you do these things, you will be over the most difficult part of
the rebuild job.

>>> Jeff Gruber <jgruber@demainsoft.com> 05/27 8:48 PM >>>
And if anyone else has tips, techniques, dire warnings or web sites about
removing and rebuilding engines, please send them on and I'll try to keep
MS Dog at bay.