UJoints - clunk mystery solved

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: UJoints - clunk mystery solved
From: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:05:52 -0400
Hello all,

Finally got wrenching this weekend - I'm so behind on Freddy I think I'm
first. Finally found the source of my big "clunk\clang" when starting off.
Sure enough, it was the driver's side U-joint. Most of the rollers and a
chunk of the cup were gone from one of the four sides. Oops!

Haynes shows someone holding an axle in their hand and tapping it to get
the joint cups out - what crack are they smoking over there? It took an
anvil, a couple of sockets and a 5lb lead hammer to get mine out after
soaking in PB Blaster for 1/2 day and heating them with a torch.

Reassembly went smoothly - once I bought a BIG bench vice...

I did notice that the driveshaft joints have a barely noticeable amount of
play - nothing like what the axle had. My car has the CV-joint style on one
end - it has more play than the replaceable joint on the other end. I have
no vibration or noises at this point, so I decided to leave well enough
alone for this year. I got my Shipwright's immunization this year! ;-)

Now I just need to send the carbs off for a rebuild, and finish sorting out
the exhaust, and it will be another top down summer.

Kevin @ Freddy in Maine

///