Re: Switched power for fan

To: firespiter@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Switched power for fan
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:59:07 -0400 (EDT)
FWIW, my spouse's 1987 Plymouth Horizon [the "horizontal"] had a solid
state control for the relay for the cooling fan.  It began to stick
on, and I finally opened up the case, cleaned the circuit boards with
[what else?] circuit board cleaner, and it was happy ever after.
Solid state doesn't cure all ills.

Donald.

> Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 06:55:42 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
[SNIP]
> I was looking at the insructions for the thermostatic
> switch I got from JC whitney ($45). It was also
> equipped with a "switch wire" which only turns the fan
> on while the ignition is on. But I simply wired it to
> the same constantly hot source so that the fan is
> completely controled by the thermostat. As I said
> before, a simple mechanical thermostatic switch that I
> use to have got cruddy and would stay on, or wouldn't
> come on until you tapped on it. But the Solid state
> unit has no moving parts to fail, so I'm less
> concerned about having it wired constantly hot.

[SNIP]