Re: rear wheels lean in

To: spitfire77@netzero.net, spitfires-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rear wheels lean in
From: PMostrom@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:30:54 EST
I think that you will find that ALL square-tail (MKIV and 1500) Spits have
substantial negative camber on their rear wheels (I'm not sure about the
pre-swing spring Spits).  The negative camber is one reason that hte Spits
are such a good auto-x car.  It gives the car stability in the slaloms.  What
most drivers see as twisting curves, I see as straight shots.

If it seems excessive on the drivers side, the best solution I've found is to
add a 1/2" spacer on top of the drivers side FRONT spring.   This will level
the car and bring the two rear wheels toward being the same.

If you really don't like the negative camber that can be solved by putting a
set of air shocks on the rear and boosting the pressure (check out the
article on the VTR web site).  It will lift the car up (less stable in the
corners) and make the ride a lot rougher, but it will stop everyone who
doesn't know the Spit from telling you that your car's broken.  I have a set
installed and run them at 45 lb. for daily driving and then drop them to 0
for auto-x.

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500