header coatings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: header coatings
From: Dale Seeley <DSeeley1@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 22:50:03 -0500
Yes, I'm new here, but coatings is a topic I can help with.

Paint will rarely stay on headers unless the application, curing process, and
reapplication are meticulously performed.

Many people have already suggested ceramic coatings, listen to them.  A
well-chosen,  properly applied ceramic coating will do wonders for the parts,
both mechanically and visually.  Visit Swain Technology at http://swaintech.com,
Dan Swain installs several types of coatings that you will find very useful.
His coatings are slightly different than most of the ceramics you will run
across, they are functional.  He has low thermal transfer coatings for headers,
high thermal transfer coatings for places that you don't want heat to stay.  He
also has low friction coatings, I'll never build another engine without having
the rod bearings and the journals coated.  How good is he?  Good enough for many
of the NASCAR teams, a couple Indy/IRL teams, most of the JetSki and Snowmobile
teams, and the fastest go-carts.  Jet-Hot may be a little cheaper, but it's just
cosmetic....

Sorry about the blatant plug, but after losing a $6000 Neon engine because of a
rod bearing that I didn't pay the $8 to have coated, I've learned my lesson....

Have fun,
Dale