Re: Overpriced Spitfires? - what's the difference?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overpriced Spitfires? - what's the difference?
From: PorscheRcr@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 02:28:55 EST
In a message dated 2/27/2001 9:24:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ptegler@cablespeed.com writes:

<< What the heck's the difference in buying a $3-4K Spit that only needs
$1K-$2K to make it nearly perfect... vs. buying a Spit for $400 and dropping
$4-5K into it,
 trying to get it to look as good >>

Some people buy them for a project, I know I did.  I will agree that if
you're looking to buy and sell them for a profit it is always best to buy the
nicest one you can find, cars needing major work are rarely good for making
money .  As far as your contention that they can never be made to look as
well as they did originally, I'd tend to take exception.  Certainly the
factory had access to more panels so they had the opportunity to hand fit
panels that fit the best on a particular shell.  Older BMW's are difficult to
repair because this is how they were built, I don't know if Triumphs were or
not.  Having said that, pieces can, with some time and skill be made to fit
as well or better than the original, if you don't think so look at any well
built street rod.  A large portion of these have had rust repairs done to
them using reproduction parts.  If the repairs are done competently  you
would never know they had been repaired.  Spitfires or any other automobile
are no different.  I've also worked on both sides of this, I personally buy
cars for the fun I have working on them, and don't worry about whether I make
money on them or not.

Bill J
'68 GT8