Brake M/C rebuild and storage

To: "SpitList" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake M/C rebuild and storage
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 18:41:54 -0800
I'm in the process of rebuilding a brake M/C. New rubber "washers" have gone
in fine. I "lightly" honed the cylinder. (This is the first time I've tried
to do that, so my interpretation may be up for discussion).
I intend to install it on the car in early May, in time for British Car
Week.
Questions:
-there were no evident rust pits inside the cylinder, but there was a
dis-coloured area, that has since been honed away. Is that the general idea?
-how should I store it between now and May? Should I fill it, bench bleed it
and try to seal it, or leave it empty for now and hope minimal rust forms in
the meantime? (Don't want to install it now, its too cold in the carport,
snow is predicted for tomorrow).
Thanks for your suggestions and comments
(BTW, if this works I'll be a happy guy. The rebuild kit cost $14.00 from
Lordco, whereas Spitbits lists a new M/C at $225.00)

Nick Moseley
76 and 2 78 Spits + misc