re:Spit carb part & an unrelated story

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: re:Spit carb part & an unrelated story
From: Terry Thompson <epharisto@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:09:04 -0800 (PST)
Zenith Strombergs can be tuned? By your statement that
ZS's are harder to tune than SU's you're implying that
you can tune a ZS. (Just jibing you)

The only advantage to the ZS over a set of SU's or a
Weber is the fact that it's a single carb/venturi and
doesn't need to be "balanced" with a second carb. Oh,
and there's a second advantage that, if you have to go
through emissions they don't automatically hand you a
FAILED certificate for altering the induction system.
That's the only real reason to not swap out the ZS.

Dual SU's/webers don't have leaky dashpots to fill
every week and they don't have the rubber diaphrams to
tear (and ZS do, frequently if you don't keep the dash
pot oil topped-up). And a set of dual SU's look sharp!

Side story:
I had two people engage me this afternoon while I was
red-tuning my SU carbs (I finally got some #6-40
screws for the low idle adjustment).

Is it just me, or is the first question out of any
individuals mouth is "WHAT YEAR IS IT?" Then they ask
you couple of other questions and then say "So, what
kind of car is it?"

Well, today, the first guy that comes over leans into
the engine bay and says "Oh this is nice! My brother
has one just like it. It's a fiat spyder right?" and
my reply was "No. it's a tr etc." and he looks at me
kind of funny and says "No. This is a Fiat! My brother
has one." So I stop toying with the carbs for a minute
and I tell the guy "I'm pretty sure that this is a
triumph spitfire." So he goes "Oh, well it's identical
to a Fiat". I can see he's getting a bit adversarial
regarding the fact that I'm trying to mislead him
about my fiat (rolling my eyes). And I go back to
playing with the unisyn and I tell the guy "Yeah,
they're both small cars and look very similar." (I'm
trying to placate the guy), and goes "Well, they're
both basically the same car, right?" And I tell him
"No. The Spyder is built by fiat - an Italian company,
and the Spitfire was built by Triumph - a British
company. You know. Like MG?" So the guy goes "Oh. This
is an MG!"

Believe it or not, the discourse went on for about 5
more minutes, but I think you've suffered long enough,
I know that I have.

-Terry
'76 Inca Yellow Fiat Spyder 1500
http://auctions.yahoo.com/