RE: High Volume Oil Pump

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>, "'Max Brewster'"
Subject: RE: High Volume Oil Pump
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 05:47:21 -0800 (PST)
SpitListers,
remember that the Spitfire has an oil pressure bypass
valve built into it. ISTR 70 psi is the spec.
Except for the pumping power losses, there should be
no problem with excess pressure.

There is a procedure mentioned in the Factory Shop
Manual for adjusting pressure with shims, and the Comp
manual suggests lapping the bypass valve/seat assembly
to get a good seal.

Though I have built many Spifire motors, both stock
and comp, I have never performed this procedure.

I do plan to pay close attention and do this when I
build the bottom end of my turbo 1500. The turbo needs
additional oil, so I want to use a GT6 pump.

Carter Shore