Cross Country Adventure (maybe)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Cross Country Adventure (maybe)
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 23:22:17 EST
Hi Spitophiles.  This may a tad premature, but currently John Weber and I are
romancing a deal for his ("my") 75 Spitfire.  Nobody took him up on his deal
last fall, so he's been holding the car for me as we look forward to nicer
weather.
    Part of what made me decide to purchase the car was his claim that "This
car will drive to Florida if need be."  Because I (1) never grown up
completely and (2) always love to play the outside odds, I instantly became
entranced with the thought of flying to Portland and driving the car back to
Phoenix just to see of ol' John was full of beans or not.
    Because I work weekends, my goal is to fly to Portland on Sunday or
Monday and spread the 30-hour drive over a 3- or 4-day period so as to maybe
catch a few sights and not damage my buttocks too terribly.  This way, if the
little beastie breaks down, I still have time to catch a bus or a plane back
to Phoenix in order to handle my weekend contract.
    I am currently considering scheduling this birdbrained adventure for
Feburary 4 thru 8, or (more probably) February 26 thru March 1...but may push
it as far back as March 26 thru 29 if weather looks frightening.  (or maybe
August...)
    So why do I bring it up?  Because I need some advice from you
Northerners.  There seem to be only two logical routes to follow: either I-84
though Idaho, then I-15 through Utah to Las Vegas, and then Hwy 93 back to
Phoenix... or else hotfoot it south on I-5 all the way to L.A. and then take
I-10 east to Phoenix.  The Oregon route looks more pictuesque on the map, but
the California route strikes me as less snowy.  Since I arrived at this
opinion after looking at a road map, I could be completely off-base (which is
why I'm looking for advice).
    In addition, I will probably be making this journey alone, so it would be
nice to know if there are any Listers on either route who might wish to
generously offer (a) a warm bed, or (b) SOS assistance in case of mechanical
failure.
    Please contact me off-list if you wish to become a part of this
foolishness.  Thanks!
    Scott (and Hobbs, 77 Spit, who looks forward to adopting an older brother)