Re: Re: ALternator gone south

To: Laura Gharazeddine <Laura.G@141.com>
Subject: Re: Re: ALternator gone south
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 10:08:46 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Laura Gharazeddine wrote:

> > Many thanks to all that replied and to Terry for the GM upgrade doc.
>
> I hear that! I'm "upgrading" to a Ford altenator. I just can't go through the
>altenator issues anymore! (Hey! It's a daily driver!) That last altenator that
>didn't even generate the ign light when I turned the key, lasted a week and a
>half!

This comes up every once in a while and I always see people suggesting
converting a Ford alternator to work on their Triumph.  I offer again
this note I received after an inquiry to Delco.

      Thank you for contacting ACDelco.  We offer the following alternator
      for your 1979 Triumph Spitfire:
                         Part number:  321-1559

      This Alternator is for the 1.5 liter Spitfire.  It is a 36 amp
      alternator and there is still plenty of stock on it.  Please contact
      one of the following Warehouse Distributors to purchase:

             Rymer Auto Radiator, Wilkes-Barre 717-823-3284
             Elwood Kieser & Sons, Philadelphia 215-744-6666

While the distributors are for my area, I suppose if all else fails you
could actually call one of them.  :-)  I would imagine this alternator
would fit any alternator equipped Spitfire.  And as it is made for this
car, no modifications should be necessary.

I am planning to get one, probably in the spring as my functional Lucas
does not seem to keep my battery charged properly causing hard starting
on cold mornings when the oil is thick.

All the best and Happy New Year.

bill

bill@cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.