Carb Rebuild Questions (long)

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb Rebuild Questions (long)
From: "Bruce Hestand" <bhestand@mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 17:54:31 -0500
I'm trying to rebuild a Stromberg 150 cd carb.  I think it's a CD4T (original
carb on engine FM130466 UCE).

1) I can't get the needle out of the air valve.  I took out the grub screw on
the side.  I can wiggle and spin the needle and pull it out approx. 1/8"
against the spring which pulls it back inside the air valve when I let go.  I
am concerned that pulling much harder on the needle might screw it up.  The
needle seems to sit inside of a sleeve which doesn't budge at all.  Shouldn't
the needle and sleeve come out as a unit? I have the carb adjustment tool
(read allen wrench) and have backed the adjustment off many turns
counter-clockwise as the manuals suggest.  Where do I go from here?

2) The needle is cruddy (car has been sitting for 15 years).  If I can get it
out, should I automatically replace it or is cleaning and reusing it a better
bet?  Grose-Jets?

3) How do I go about cleaning out the fixed jet inside the carb body.  Is
bathing the dis-assembled carb in a bucket of carb cleaner the only way to
clear this up?  Is this jet replaceable?

4) There is a black 1/4" plastic spacer between the carb and the intake
manifold.  It has formed a serious attachment to the carb. Is there a trick
for getting this loose or just shred it and get a new one?

Sorry for the length of this but thanks for any help.

BruceH
Chelmsford, Ma.
'80 Spitfire