Spit Mystery-Resolved?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Mystery-Resolved?
From: A666K@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 06:59:31 EST
Well, it looks like the culprit was found, I hope....
Fellow lister Terry Thompson kindly took the time to come over (with his
great sounding spit) and help me inspect the w. bearings. Since those looked
ok, further checking only revealed the one thing that could be the cause; A
tiny pebble stuck on the backing plate that constantly rubbed on the rotor.
Apparently on the straight line it was quiet, but when I'd turn, the slight
deflection would cause it to rub harder, which was effectively amplified by
the backing plate. Best diagnosis award goes to: Jeff McNeal who suggested
the backing plate was rubbing, and Chris Taylor who suggested something being
lodged back near there. Thanks guys, and also thanks to everybody else who
responded so quickly and wisely. Also Terry T., great guy, took off of boring
work to come play w/ Spits in the freezing cold, Thanks.
Avi