Re: Spitfire cam bearings

To: wrgingerich@qwest.net, spitlist@gte.net, kristjag@EM.AGR.CA
Subject: Re: Spitfire cam bearings
From: Cwn74@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 23:04:20 EST
In a message dated 11/4/2000 11:24:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wrgingerich@qwest.net writes:

> OK, so this raises another question:  Other than journal size, are these
>  various cams identical i.e.: same lift, duration, and timing?  Will any old
>  Spitfire cam with bearings, assuming it is in good condition, work properly
>  in a 1500?

I think some/one of the Mk2 1147cc cams have the best performance
characteristics (and work similarly fine in a 1500), but I can't tell you
which one.

My thoughts are that you can acquire a small diameter cam and have it
re-ground (such as Schooler in Gainsville FL, if they're still around) to
your specifications.  Finding a NOS or like new 30+ year old cam may be
difficult.

Also, there are cam sets (with lifters, etc) ready to go from British
suppliers and perhaps Crane Cams may still have a range of cams, although you
may need to supply a core.

My good friend George Parker recently built a 1500, perhaps he'll let me know
the spec (I seem to have misplaced his information on that).

You may get the difinitive answer from Ted Schumacher (as usual) at:
tedtsimx@q1.net

Good luck and let me know what you do, I may follow suite!

"If it's not fun, why do it?" Ben & Jerry
Clark W. Nicholls
CWNicholls@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/CWNicholls
fax: 419-844-7564 (yes, 419)