RE: Maryland Vehicle Inspection

To: "derek evans" <derek_evans@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Maryland Vehicle Inspection
From: "Sean & Shannon Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:02:44 -0400
Everyone,
        Well I don't need to worry about the dreaded Maryland inspection.
Thanks
to Ree Gurley's suggestion I registered my 1980 Spitfire as historic.  It
took a bit of convincing with the supervisor.  She continually insisted that
I needed a letter from the manufacturer stating that the line/model was no
longer produced.  I reiterated the fact that Leyland, BL ltd., and then BL
plc. no longer existed so the "letter" could not be obtained.  I came armed
with production figures from the web and from a number of catalogs and,
luckily,  a Time magazine article from Dec. 7, 1981 that detailed BL's woes.
She read the article,  then talked to another supervisor and everything was
approved.  The approval was accompanied by a stern warning about keeping the
car for a few years, which I plan to do.  Thanks to Ree and Nolan Penney
(for the MD code website) for their help and suggestions.  It saved me the
inspection fees and hassle and about $60 in tag fees.  Most of my outlay was
the 5% sales tax on the purchase price of the car.  I was honest  because I
didn't was that to come back and haunt me if I ever, God forbid, get into an
accident.

Slanté,
Sean Twigg
'80 Spitfire (with bright, new, historic plates)