Re: POR15

To: vicwhit@home.com
Subject: Re: POR15
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 08:30:29 -0400
It's odd to me the failures I and others have had with it.  Myself, as soon as
I opened
the can I was concerned because the stuff is so thick.  Thick materials don't
soak in
and bond with surface rust, they just can't.  To work with rust, the materials
got to be
thin.  So I wasn't terribly surprised when I could lift it right off the  rusty
metal.   Yes,
the rusty metal was wire brushed down to solid rust (if there really is such a
thing), and
cleaned well.  I also tried it over bare steel (better results), painted
surfaces (horrible
results) and flaky rust.

I've come to recently suspect though that the company mislabled cans.  My
POR-15
never cured hard, it stayed flexible.  POR-15 isn't supposed to do that, it's
supposed
to become very hard.  The company now has a section of their web site dedicated
giving warnings about the mistake of using their chassis black instead of their
POR-15,
 with the resulting problems being described exactly as I encountered with the
black
POR-15.  Seems to me a backhanded way of admitting they screwed up a whole
bunch
of cans of POR-15 by dumping chassis black paint into them and selling them to
customers as POR-15...maybe.

The others I know who had failures almost all used the silver paint.  Now they
didn't
have it peel off like I did, it just bled and burst through with rust, like if
you sprayed
generic primer over rusty metal.  It looks like, and acts like, cheap silver
paint.

>>> Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com> 09/13 4:47 PM >>>

I must admit, Nolan, that I did not use POR-15 on rusty surfaces. All my rusty
surfaces were cleaned to bare metal as best as possible, thoroughly washed in
Castrol Superclean, rinsed in very hot water, and then air dried. This left a
dull finish that took the POR-15 very well.

I have never had a problem of peeling or chipping. POR-15 has been on my upper
and lower A-arms, sway bar, front brake dust shield, and wheel spindles for 2
years. Am I just lucky, or was it good preparation? I think it was the prep.

I have no interest in the company, nor sell the stuff, but I will continue to
use it in the future.

So there you have it folks... some like it and some don't.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario