RE: veneering masonite

To: <OHFASTONE@aol.com>, <owner-spitfires@autox.team.net>, <Laura.G@141.com>
Subject: RE: veneering masonite
From: "John Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:26:24 -0700
Michael,
I always say "no power tools" because if I don't, somebody will take a 1/2
inch router and a dovetail bit at 8000rpm and go after it.  If they don't do
that they'll put a belt of 150 (if 220 is good, then 150 will be faster,
right?) on a 3 horse belt sander and wonder what happened to all the veneer
in this 4 inch wide stretch :)  Won't the dowels get glued in?  Or, they
don't because the only touch one side of the contact cement?
My experience with the dowels idea is zero.  I always just do it by eye and
fit beforehand.
You'll note that I kept saying to leave the lines and trim later.  I always
do that.
Even when making cabinets I do it that way.  You can always trim an 1/8th,
but it's darn hard to add 1/8th.
If you worked in a carpenter shop for any length of time, you should be
telling me, not the other way 'round.  I'm just a hacker when it comes to
woodworking, and my methods are my own.  I read American Wordworker, and
I've tried some of those things.  I keep going back to what works for me.
BTW, if you can get me some ideas for doing my engine and radiator valences,
that would be way kewl.  Those are up next after a head re-build.

John
'75 Spit