Compression and Rings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Compression and Rings
From: frandrum@voicenet.com
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:21:05 US/Eastern
Hello Listers,

I posted a message a few weeks back looking for advice on an engine overhaul
for my 72
Spit.

Here's the oily details:

The engine started blowing a lot of oil thru the exhaust after a high speed 600
mile trip
to the TRF picnic.  We were really dumping a lot of oil in by the time we got
home.  We
also have positive crankcase/valve cover pressure and are loosing oil whereever
it can
find a way out.

I pretty much assumed that we needeed a ring job based in large part on the
fact that the
1296 engine had about 90K miles on it and most of that was around the city
driving.

Yesterday we did a compression check on it and after getting numbers of
120/60/60/120
while testing a cold engine we tested again after warm-up and got an even 120/
120/ 120/
120 across all the cylinders.  The 60's came up to 120 with a couple spoonful
of oil
poured into the cylinder.  We are pretty confident that the valves are fine
having had the
head overhauled about 2K miles ago.

Is it reasonable to assume that I have oil ring (versus compression ring)
problem despite
the even 120 cylinder readings.

We will do the ring job if necessary but I would hate to tinker with rings if
that won't
solve the oil blow problem.

Appreciate inputs on this one folks.  We are missing prime driving weather and
really need
your help.

Frank Drummond, Warminster PA, 72 Spit

      http://www.voicenet.com/webmail/