Thrust washer disaster

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Thrust washer disaster
From: "DAVID ARMITAGE" <David.Armitage@nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 11:25:08 +0100
Hi All,

I'm sorry my first posting to this list is not on a happy note. I'm the
proud owner of a 1967 MkII spit, which has unfortunately been off
the road for the summer due to an irritating clutch problem. The
clutch takes up very close to the floor and frequently won't
disengage at all. Having replaced the clutch with no cure for the
problem I took a look at the thrust washers as the endfloat looked
to be in excess of the 0.2mm max.

Not having the facilities for easy engine removal, I took the sump
out and worked under the car. The thrust washers looked pretty
good when I removed them, and measured well within spec. But as
the only cost a couple of pounds I replaced them with a new set
and put everything back together.

I turned the engine by hand, then cranked the engine over about
10x and all seemed fine. I then started her up, she ran well for all of
5 seconds before seizing up solid. So everything out again, to find
a mangled pair of thrust washers!

So why did this happen? I'm sure the washers were the correct
way round (facing the crank surfaces), everything was clean. I've
spoken to the TSSC, and they suggested that working from
underneath the car that it's easy for the washers to rotate and
hence the bearing not to seat properly. Does this sound right?

So I'm now in the position of having to take the engine out for at
least a bottom end rebuild. And I'll still probably end up with the
clutch problem!!

So if anyone has any suggestions of what's causing the clutch
problem, or whether I should get a totally new engine, or just
concentrate on repairing what I've got then I'd be grateful.

David