'74 Spit has to go - whole or parted

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: '74 Spit has to go - whole or parted
From: "Greg Hendrix" <gahendrix@att.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:56:36 -0400
Listers,

I'm facing a dilemma. I picked up a '74 Spitfire a year ago, and intended to
do a partial restore. I redid the brakes on all four corners and began the
process to get the engine running. Installed a PerTronix Ignitor (as the
elec. Ignition module was bad), ran into major timing issues, and concluded
that with all the things that this little car needs (and my limited time and
willingness to delve into them) that if I was going to enjoy "Spitin'" any
time soon, buying a driver was my best option.

I found an '80 that is by no means perfect, and probably overpaid for it,
but is certainly good enough to be used while I work on it. The problem is,
now I have two filling the garage, and I have orders to clear one of them
out by fall. The '74 needs to go. It does not run, but has potential. The
frame appears to be in good condition, the bulkhead and body are in fair
condition (no major rust or dents). It did not run when I got it, and the PO
had removed the dash boards to fix some wiring problems.

I have purchased about $1,100 worth of parts, some of which are installed on
the car. I have a detailed spreadsheet that lists the parts and whether they
are installed. Many of these parts are interchangeable with my '80 (brake
rotors, shoes, pads, rebuilt calipers, brake hoses, shocks, a new top still
in the box, etc.), so if I have no takers, I can harvest most of them for
use later.

This car could be a good foundation for a new frame-up resto, or a wonderful
donor. I simply want to recoup the value of the parts I've installed, or
optionally, re-install the old parts where possible so as to reduce the cost
of new ownership. I am flexible in making the car affordable (how LOW will
he go?) I have a clear title, so it's ready to go.

If I have no takers soon, I will have no choice but to strip it and have the
carcass hauled. I do NOT want this to happen. Please contact me directly,
and I'll send you the Excel spreadsheet with parts and pricing. Of course, I
have receipts if you wish to see them.

Greg Hendrix
Downingtown, PA