Hood Frame rebuild

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Hood Frame rebuild
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 09:11:11 -0600
Has ever been designed a more diabolical, fiendish contraption that a
Spitfire folding hood (roof) frame?  What a finger pinching, mind
boggling piece of equipment.  I reckon there's more engineering in one
of those than in all the swing-springs, trunnion-bushings, and
camber-compesators ever designed.

So, I started out trying to tighten a few bolts on a spare hood frame to
install in my Mk IV.  Bolts seized.  Domed lock nuts missing.  Even one
link missing, bolts, nuts and all.  Links bent etc, etc.

While rebuilding it, and getting it all in pieces, sanded and repainted,
I'm now about to re assemble it from the pile of bits.  Lucky I have
another to copy!  I don't have a digital camera, and my drawing skills
didn't help.

What I noticed though, is that under the PO's black paint seemed to be
Conifer Green on some parts.  Made me wonder, what colour should the
hood frame be?  On dark cars I can see having a dark frame to match, but
I couldn't imagine driving for long in one with Pimento or Safron frame
bars against a black roof.

Any ideas?

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,