Re: Electric Fan

To: Mike Nelson <mnelson@tconl.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric Fan
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 08:43:26 -0400
Mike,

I also had a fan problem, and with help from the list, sorted out the main
difficulty (which was a priceless piece of DPO'ism -- the thermo switch
wires were affixed to the horn, and the horn wires to the switch!!!) but I
digress.

The cct contains a thermo switch and a relay, as well as the fan
itself.  The thermo switch is fed by ign feed that is routed to the relay,
I think (at work and cct diagram at home) -- upon operation of the switch,
the relay will be energised and the fan will run.  The relay is mounted on
top of the horn relay, and both are fixed by a singe self tapper up near
the speedometer.  If you look up into the dash, they are very close to the
outside of the car. The fan motor is protected by an inline fuse (ours was
just above the ignition switch) so you may need to check that as well.

Some where on the web, there is a page that has the cct diagram for the
1980 Spit that will give you much more info -- found it
http://www.enteract.com/~vmichael/tech.html

Good luck

Tony