Gear stick knob woes

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gear stick knob woes
From: Kashif Ahmad <KASHIF@RCP.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:44:32 +0100
Help,

I have a 1980 spit 1500 with overdrive and have been trying to remove the
gear stick knob. I have removed the overdrive switch but the knob refuses to
turn. Inside the knob there seems to be a disc with two grooves cut on
opposite sides. I assumed that this was a lock nut of some sort and have
tried to turn it but with no luck (only drawing blood twice so far). Am I
right with my assumption, if so then how do I get the thing to budge?

One other little thing I would like some advice on,
I am about to change the oil and was wondering if using an engine flush
would cause any bad things to happen (the engine has about 97k on it and
seems to be running fine).

Thanks in advance

Kashif.