Spitfire Information wanted ...

To: spitlist@gte.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Information wanted ...
From: Michael_Bayrock@translink.bc.ca
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 09:18:32 -0700
Hi Joe (and the rest of you Spitfire fans)

An old friend called me over the weekend.  Her husband and I spent many
evenings wrenching on Spitfires in our past.  Unfortunately, he passed away
some years ago, and left behind a Spitfire he was working on.  She has
finally decided to keep it and restore it to original condition, and asked
me for some help.

First of all, I suppose we need to sort out the question on whether the
parts are original or not.  The registration says the car is a '65, but it's
definitely an early MkIII. The engine is out of the car and sitting on the
ground.  The tranny is beside the engine.

The numbers are:

Commission number   FD23467 L
Body number  23261 FD

Trim/Paint  56   27
under the trim/paint code there is '2040'

Engine Number  RD 62947HE   (is this correct?)
Tranny  FC60040

It has a wooden centre dash/fascia.  It has a hardtop (!), attached soft
top, seats are medium height with raisable headrests. It has 2 piece hub
caps/wheel trims  (centre cap solid, larger wheel cover is a grater/salad
spinner design).  It has beehive-type lenses for signals (red) and reversing
lights (white) in the rear.  It appears to have a 4-into-1 tubular header.

So, what can you knowledgeable fellows tell me about the car?

Michael