clutch release bearing

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: clutch release bearing
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 11:13:15 -0400
I received a present last night from Ted Schumacher (O.K. as big as a
present gets with an invoice attached) but it was all the same to me.
Reground cam -boy does it look fast!  and a borg and beck clutch kit (Ted
has the best deals out there on this stuff)  along with a few other neat
toys.

As I prepare today to assemble the rest of the drivetrain I have one quick
question!  How do you remove the release bearing from the input shaft??

Will a generic hose work for the Drivers side upper radiator hose on a '79
Spit with the slanted radiator?

I also have a note for anyone rebuilding their engine.  As I have learned in
the past few weeks make sure that you replace the washers used on your main
caps (probably rod caps too) as on my engine they were concaved and actually
acted as a wedge and helped crack the caps, they also chewed up the tops of
the caps as well.  Rick Cline indirectly recommended to me (through my
machine shop) one to obviously use new HARDENED washers and make sure the
top of it is perfectly flat (mine needed filing down) But he says to
actually cut out a step in that part of the cap and weld in hardened steel,
apparently this will make the cap much stronger.  I don't have the
particulars on how much to remove and replace but if Rick Cline says so it
sounds good to me.  Has anyone ever heard of this.

Patrick Bowen