Re: Popping out of 2nd -- what's failing?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, jmcneal@ohms.com
Subject: Re: Popping out of 2nd -- what's failing?
From: "Dean Dashwood" <Dean.Dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:58:27 +0100

Jeff,

I don't know anything about the inside of gearboxes, but a club-member had a
fairly similar problem to the one you describe.  Her car popped out of 3rd gear,
at almost any engine speed.  Fortunately, the gearbox was under warrantly, so
she took it back to the supplier.  It's been there for nearly two weeks already,
being completely rebuilt - apparently just about every component needed to be
trashed.  She's not paying for the work, since it appears the gearbox was
supplied faulty, but she's still annoyed at not having the car to drive.

I hope you're problems aren't the same.  Since it only pops out at high revs,
that suggests that even if it is the same problem, it's not as bad.  If you
suspect the gearbox is dodgy anyway, though (I think you said that in your
earlier e-mail) then probably you should keep driving until it gets too bad to
manage, then replace the gearbox.  In my experience, reconditioned gearboxes are
sufficiently cheap that, unless you're capable of doing the work yourself,
paying someone to fix a gearbox isn't worth it.

Good luck!

Dean