Re: Cam bearings for 1500

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Cam bearings for 1500
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 05:52:29 -0800
If it were mine, I'd use the bearings.  They provide a much better bearing
then the cast iron block, and will allow higher revs without scoring the
journals on the cam -  .   Even though the cam turns at half the speed of
the crank, at 7000 rpm that's still 3500 on the cam.  And the cam is one of
the most heavily loaded reciprocating components of the engine
I suspect that running the bearings in the block directly was a cost saving
measure, and under *most* condition on these engines it was deemed not
really necessary to use separate bearings - Besides the obvious, if for
some reason you do score the cam bearing journals you only ruin the
replaceable shells, not the entire block -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)