Re: Boy! Am I Rich! Part III (and Question)

To: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine), "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>,
Subject: Re: Boy! Am I Rich! Part III (and Question)
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:52:34 -0500
At 08:56 AM 03/25/00 -0800, Laura Gharazeddine wrote:
>My spit never reads F-only 3/4. But, E seems to read true-I've run it down
>to where the needle was touching E and when I put gas in, it took around 6
>gal.

Patrick, Laura et al:

I don't have a ready answer for you all about gas sender calibration. I
have messed with mine several times but have resigned myself to some
inaccuracies.

If you remove the sending unit from the tank (after making sure the tank is
no more than a third full, duh) you will see what looks like a white
plastic slotted setscrew on the metal 'pivot box'.  Turning this even a
little affects the calibration of the sender.

But on my '79 the plastic was so old and brittle that the 'ears' of the
setscrew broke off.  After that I was forced to simply bend the float arm
to calibrate. (If you try and calibrate it that way be sure you don't upset
the front-to-back position of the arm and float, or your sender may hang up
like Paul's. Careful also when reinstalling the sender so it won't foul on
the intake pipe or bang into the sides of the tank.)

BTW Laura, I set mine so it is the opposite of yours--- it _just_ reads
full after gassing up, but it's empty around an indicated 1/8th of a
tank.  So when the needle hits 1/4, I usually stop for petrol, taking about
7 to 7.5 gallons.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA

"How can you tell if you run out of invisible ink?"