Speedometer on a 78 Spitfire not working

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedometer on a 78 Spitfire not working
From: "Mike Chmura" <m.chmura@umassp.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 09:39:05 -0500
Hello all,

I'm in the process of buying a 78 Spitfire with a speedometer that doesn't
work.  The seller says the problem is where the speedometer cable connects
to the transmission..perhaps a striped gear?  He also says that to repair
this problem requires the engine/transmission to be taken out of the car,
which is 'why' he didn't do it.  Is this true?

And if it is, can I use the tach to get an idea of how fast I'm really
going.  For instance, if the tach read 3000rpm - am I going 60 mph?
This car doesn't have OD.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

mike chmura
Soon to own a 78 spitfire.