Re:

To: "Kashif Ahmad" <KASHIF@RCP.co.uk>
Subject: Re:
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:04:20 -0000
Hi Kashif
Speaking from experience the Sprint wheels are soft even by alloy wheel
standards and flex a lot, this causes the lacquer that is originally applied
to crack and let in moisture causing the aluminium oxide to form under the
lacquer and make the lacquer lift and flake. The best treatment for these
wheels is to keep them clean and polish regularly with a well worn soap pad
(brillo etc), and then with a proprietary alloy wheel cleaning kit. The
black on the back is difficult to shift, I tried supper dooper yacht paint
strippers "this'll take off seven layers of international yacht paint mate."
Well all I can say is the stuff on the wheels didn't even blister. A while
later I had a wheel cylinder leak on me and the whole of the centre of the
wheel was stripped clean!! As for re coating the same thing applies to the
inside, these wheels flex, though a good quality 2 pack paint with the
addition of a plasticizer for the modern plastic bumper cars could work,
this is planned for my wheels when I can bear to run the car on steel discs
for a couple of weeks.

Graham.