RE: Re veneer the dash

To: "'rtgetzinger@scif.com'" <rtgetzinger@scif.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Re veneer the dash
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:41:32 -0500
I searched to do it myself, and found that very few places sold the veneer,
and those that did were specialty houses wanting in excess of $100 for a
huge sheet.  Instead a gent in my local club (who happens to be a master
woods craftsmen) redid it for me and I will be proud to proclaim next week
when I pick it up that it is the absolute best looking Spitfire dash in the
world!  Total cost $63.90.

Note:  according to him a major flaw in our dashes is that Triumph did not
seal the back sides of the wood causing them to absorb water and swell and
shrink causing the finish (specific type, but I don't remember) to crack and
seperate.  He completely sealed mine with whatever superduper stuff he used.

Haven't seen the finished product yet, but the Samples were INCREDIBLE!

Patrick
(who has goofed some items up enough to let others deal with them)