Alternator Info

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Info
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 07:47:08 -0700
I picked up a Wilson rebuilt alternator, still in its box at a swap meet

for $50 last month, then wondered if it would fit the Spitfire.  Not the

right way to buy car parts, I know!

So I went to Wilson, a very large component rebuilder here in Canada,
and from their parts book found the following.  It may be of some use to

someone.

For Spitfires
Year      Amps        OEM PN     Wilson Alt PN    Wilson Reg PN
67-70    25              22789            92 17 8001        62 17
8611(external)
71-72    28              23634            90 17 8010        62 17 8632
73-80    36              23845A         90 17 8025        62 17 8639

I assume the OEM PN refers to Lucas numbers.

Strangely, the one I bought, still in its Wilson box, was a 90 17 8027,
28 Amp made for '73 Ford Cortina & Capri (British).  but it sure looks
like the Lucas alternator that fits a Spitfire.  The back cover is
marked simply LUCAS, and has 3 output pins, horizontal.
Any ideas why the different part number?

A second unit I bought for $25 looks identical again, except the back is

marked
                            LUCAS
            (a great            5
                big  )     1     6    - ACR  [I guess implying the same
cover can be used for all 3 models.  It has 5 output pins -
                                    7            2 horizontal,
then 3vertical ones arranged:    |    |
                                                    |]

(hope this comes out on everyone's screen!)

Any ideas what model alternator this one is? Perhaps an ACR 15?

Thanks, Fred

--
Fred & Wendy Griffiths,
Calgary, Canada