Re: Creeking steering column

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: Creeking steering column
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:17:56 -0000
Hi Jeff
Thanks, I was starting to get withdrawal symptoms!!!
Does the Spit have the U clamp arrangement for the steering column join, if
so slacken the clamp slightly and introduce about 1/32" clearance between
the wheel and the shroud. For the squeak, are all the support bracket bolts
tight, if not that could be your squeak. the best thing I have found to cure
a plastic squeak is furniture polish either in a pump bottle or aerosol
spray, the cheap ones with the silicones seem to work best, you can just
spray them around until you hit the squeak, then when you Know where it is
located you can try to solve it by fairer means!

Graham.