Speedo/tach out of whack?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Speedo/tach out of whack?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:31:28 -0800
Hello all,

I haven't tried jacking up my rear wheel yet to give it a spin and check to
see what diff I have, but in driving on the freeway yesterday, it sure
didn't seem like the engine was screaming when I was hitting 60-65 MPH,
which the tack said was in the 4250-4500 range.

I noticed in third gear the speedo/tach read 30/3000 and in fourth gear it
was 40/3000.  Even though I was driving in the slow lane and keeping my
speed at around 60MPH, I didn't notice traffic just flying by me as I
expected it to.  The fast lane drivers on I-15 are usually hitting 75-80 MPH
and they didn't look like they were going 15-20 MPH faster than I was.  This
leads me to suspect that my tach might be good, but that the speedo is
probably not properly calibrated.  I need to buy a stopwatch and that will
be my next test after I mark off a mile somewhere...  Another reason that I
don't believe I have a 4.55:1 diff is that I should have much better
launching torque from a standing stop than I do now.  I've yet to start off
from a stop light and pull ahead (or even) with the guy in the next lane.
Time for some performance tuning...  The valve tappets are making a pretty
good racket.  Guess I'll adjust those after I buy a replacement cork gasket
for the valve cover.  Are those available locally  Or will I have to mail
order those in, too?

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego