Re: electronic ignition

To: spitlist@gte.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: electronic ignition
From: "BJ Martin" <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:41:47 PST
>From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
> >
> > How would I know this? I thought the test for voltage drop (i.e.
>supposed to
> > drop below 8 volts and I got 9.3 v) was supposed to look for that. Is
>there
> > some other way to tell if this ballast wire is in the circuit?
>
>It will be a white wire that runs to the starter solenoid to a
>connection that mates with one of the ignition switch terminals and the
>Drive resistor. It also connects to several other circuits.  If you
>measure from the solenoid to the drive resistor, you should get a fairly
>accurate indication of the resistance of that wire, since the resistance
>(if it is a ballast wire) will read approximately 3 to 4 ohms. needless
>to say, you need a fairly accurate ohmmeter since the resistance is very
>low in either case.

I'm not getting this (remember, I'm an electrical idiot). Why is measuring
the wire to the drive resistor pertinent? The finned aluminum thing
identified as the drive resistor is on a blind circuit (i.e. it has one wire
leading to it and the opposing terminal has nothing attached to it).
Anybody?

Thanks, brent