Re: Fire extinguishers

To: <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fire extinguishers
From: "Patrick Bowen" <pabowen@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 17:38:05 -0500
A great alternative to the dry chemical extinguishers is a CO2 fire
extinguisher.  While dry chemicals are much better at their job, a CO2
extinquisher will work perfectly wonderful for a Spitfire (and do not do a
shabby job inthemselves), and leave no residue, and its is a good ABC
extinguisher.  One thing to remember is no matter how much you clean you
will not get the stuff out, the powder is so fine it is designed to get into
microscopic orifices to eliminate oxygen pockets and smother flames.  Works
great, bad side effects.  I know of a Navy Aegis Class Cruiser that lost its
entire CIC (Combat Information Center) a year after a fire because someone
did not realize the drastic effects.

Sorry for the whole fire lesson,  Seven years of firefighting on ships and
the extensive Navy training I have received on it have finally come to a
halfway decent purpose - preserving spitfires.

Patrick Bowen