Re: headlamp dimmer

To: <rtriplett@bjservices.com>, <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: headlamp dimmer
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@maxinter.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:09:24 -0500
The lever uses an extrusion that looks like the outline
of Italy. This Italy shaped finger is perpendicular to the lever
and sits right in the middle of where all the wires meet their
terminals on the body of the switch.

This little Italy shaped finger usually cracks at it's base.
the design uses the flexing of the plastic as the spring (with one other
little extrusion) detent function.

Twice now I have been successful in repairing this finger by
drilling a hole down through its length and into the base with a pin vise
and tiny drill bit.
I put a long 0-80 (or you can use a 4-40) screw down through the
hole

The first time I ever tried this (back in 1981) it lasted the remaining 9 years
we drove that particular Spitfire.  I just recently did it to my '75 Spit. and
it's holding up
fine.

Paul Tegler  wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com
OBie - '73 BGT - daily driver
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/ob_description.htm
Punkin' - '78 Spitfire - corner ripping screamer
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/spit78.htm
Lil' Greenee - '73 RWA Midget - lady killer
http://www.teglerizer.com/midgetstuff/index.html