Perfect Saturday

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Perfect Saturday
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:24:52 -0500
I wake-up to a hazy cloudy day...a slow drizzle. Then I remember "I left
the top down on the car last night". So I run out of the front door still
pulling clothes on to get the top up before the rain really starts to come
down. ( A wet seat never hurt anyone right?)

My plans for the day- included going into the office but first to run to
the local British parts place and pick-up a new set of points/condenser.
(Pep Boys carrys a condenser, rotor, plug wires, dizzy cap for the
spit..but no points!) So I head out on the 15 or so mile trip to the
British car place after stopping by starbucks for some coffee.

About 8 miles into the drive when I notice that my ignition light is red!
The temperature needle appears to be moving like a tachometer on a formula
one car...and immediately realize (due to a past experience) that I've lost
my fan belt. The only problem is, I'm at a stop light in the middle of
traffic!

After about 20 seconds or so the temp gauge has almost pegged the hot mark
and steam beggins to pour out from under the hood. (I'm in the middle of
Route 1 here.) Abandoning all dignity, I put the car into gear and run the
red light (I'd rather pay a ticket than buy a new engine), to get to the
side street and turn off the car.

I prop open the hood to see a fountain of hot radiator fluid pouring out of
the over-flow bottle. The belt is in shreds hanging from the crank pulley
literally by a thread.

Luckily, I carry spare parts in the trunk...(50 to 100 fuses, several
belts, a few quarts of oil...etc....It's a British car after all). And
about 5 minutes worth of work and another 10 minutes of allowing the
electric fan to do it's job...I was on the road to a nearby gas station for
some water.

Exxon cashier "Water? Try the vending machines." ...$1 for 20oz. of water?!
Why you #@$&%! So, $2 in water and I'm on the road again.

When I got to the British car place, I regailed the parts guy with my
harrowing experience and told him "It's always best to carry a few spare
parts....Too bad I can't fit a spare engine in the trunk!"

End of story

Terry L. Thompson
'76 1500 almost Spitting Fire
Maryland