Re: Last Call for Rear Leaf Spring Tools for Spitfire, GT6, Herald

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Last Call for Rear Leaf Spring Tools for Spitfire, GT6, Herald
From: ScottBarr8@aol.com
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:53:47 EST
Hello, all.

Last call for the rear leaf spring lifting tools!  I'll be putting in the
order on Monday.  See below if you missed the first message.

They will be $28 each if we get an order for ten or more, $40 each if we get
an order for ten or fewer.  Plus shipping, of course.  We've got five so far.
 From this list, we've got Joe Curry, Doug Frank, Roger Elliott (if we get to
$28) and me.  Anybody else want one?

Scott
ScottBarr8@aol.com

 ScottBarr8@aol.com wrote:

 > I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm pretty tired of having to jack
 > under the vertical links every time I want to release the pressure of the
 > leaf spring on the rear suspension.  Have to do this every time you replace
 > u-joints, half-shafts, rubber donuts, or half a million other things back
 > there.
 >
 > There is a spring lifting tool described in most of the manuals: a 3-foot
 > steel bar with two brackets on one end.  The two brackets fit over the top
of
 > the leaf spring, a bolt goes through the outboard bracket, under the
spring,
 > and the lifting bar is propped up, taking all the pressure off of the
 > suspension components.  TSSC sells this tool for 29 pounds (which is like,
 > what, $48?), plus shipping.
 >
 > Being a cheapskate and in a hurry, I contacted a local fabricator to see
if I
 > could have one made.  They can make one for $40 or they can make 10 for
$28.
 > See where I'm headed here?
 >
 > Anybody else want one?  If no one else does, I'll take my single piece at
 > $40.  But if we can all save $20 why not do it?
 >
 > Scott
 > ScottBarr8@aol.com

  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer