Re: Fwd: [pub] Fw: Irony from the Jag list

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fwd: [pub] Fw: Irony from the Jag list
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 19:23:35 -0600
I had head this story before and saw an episode that at least mentioned this on
TV show "Law  & Order" or "Homicide" .  So I decided to see what I could find on
the net.

I found this on http://www.snopes.com/ an Urban Legends page.

     Origins:   This amazing tale appeared on the Internet in August 1994.
Prized
     both for the entertaining logic problem it presents as well as the morally
just
     surprise ending, even years later it remains a cyber-favorite and continues
to be
     forwarded to ever-widening circles of netizens.

     A story this good should be true. Alas, it's not. There never was a
suicidal
Ronald
     Opus, a feuding, shotgun-wielding older couple, or an increasingly confused
     medical examiner trying to get to the bottom of things. But there is some
truth to
     it, for there is a Don Harper Mills, and he did tell this very story at a
meeting of
     the American Academy of Forensic Sciences.

     Here's how Mills explained his involvement with the story in a 1997
interview:

          I made up the story in 1987 to present at the meeting, for
entertainment
and to
          illustrate how if you alter a few small facts you greatly alter the
legal
          consequences. In 1994 someone copied it on to the Internet. I was told
it had
          already garnered 200,000 enquiries on the Net. In the past two years
I've had
          around 400 telephone calls about it - librarians, journalists, law
students, even
          law professors wanting to incorporate it into text books.

     It was hypothetical; just a story made up to illustrate a point. It's hard
imagine
     anyone at that 1987 meeting took it for anything else.

     How did a 1987 illustrative anecdote morph into 1994's believed-to-be-true
story?
     We'll likely never know. How did Dr. Mills come to concoct such a tale? As
he
said
     in a 1997 interview, "Some of it I wrote out, and some of it I invented as
went
     along."

Roger Elliott