Re: repair or restore?

To: "Bernhard Rauner" <Bernhard.Rauner@noegkk.sozvers.at>,
Subject: Re: repair or restore?
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:07:24 -0800
Hi Bernhard,

It really all depends on your emotional attachment to the car and your long
range plans.  If you are planning to keep your Spitfire for the next 10
years or more, then you will certainly get your monies worth from a full
restoral.  There's no way that you could recapture the fun and value in a
newer sports car.  However, if your future plans are uncertain, it would
make little sense to spend the time and money, especially since you're not
likely to recoup the money you've invested due to the relatively low value
of Spitfires.

As I've committed to restoring my '67 Mk3, I've long pondered just how far
I'm willing to take the restoral.  Do I want a show car?  Or just one that I
can feel good about kicking around town or in the local mountains now and
then?  Does the shelf in the engine really need to be clean enough to eat
off of?  I still don't have the answer.  All I know is that I've comitted to
keeping this car, perhaps for the rest of my life -- and I'm deriving great
pleasure from renewing worn parts.  I have already decided that I will
gladly sink another $5k to $8k into this car if that's what it takes for it
to look and handle like new again.

If I even invest $10-$15k into my Spitfire eventually, I really don't CARE
if I can only sell it for $5k-$8k someday, because I really don't plan on
selling it at all.  Let's face it -- as far as financial investments are
concerned, these cars are decidedly NOT the way to go.  But as emotional
investments, they return great dividends IF you have a genuine passion for
these cars.

As to the level of restoral?  Let your heart, head and wallet be your guide.
If it makes sense, you want to do it and you can afford to -- then go for
it.   But as another lister pointed out, an understanding spouse is a real
help.  Good luck.

Best wishes,

Jeff