Re: rear spit springs

To: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>, "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear spit springs
From: "MikeC" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 18:11:53 -0700
When  you say *measuring from the bench to the base of the mounting block*,
I'm assuming its sitting on the bench with the arch upward and measuring to
the bottom of the spring pack where it mounts to the diff.  I've also heard
of putting thin teflon strips between the ends of the leaves to reduce
friction.
MikeC

>Mike,
>The spitfire competition manual suggests that you de-arch the rear spring
>one inch in height when the spring is on the workbench, measuring from the
>bench to the base of the mounting block.  This will really drop the rear of
>your car.
>I just installed a used spring in the rear, which was about 2.75 inches in
>height.  This dropped the rear to a more acceptable height and really
helped
>with the rear end jacking.  I think I will remove it soon and have it
>de-arched to about 1.75 inches, giving me the ideal height according to me.
>The competition manual also suggests cutting off the ends of the second
>spring where it meets the ends of the first spring to prevent binding.
This