Copyrights, etc.

To: Tburke4@aol.com
Subject: Copyrights, etc.
From: Susan Hensley <susan@bearcom.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:44:34 -0600
Howdy from a marketing director...

In regard to copyrights, trademarks, etc. -- these marks are used to
"register" original (and sometimes not-so-original but successfully
claimed) logos, artwork, names, etc. that represent a company, a
product, or a service.  These companies have invested a lot of time and
money into having these marks represent who and what they are.  They ARE
legally defensible, so you do want to be careful with them.

As a non-profit club, it is usually possible to gain permission to use
such marked material, but you usually have to state the specific
circumstances under which you will be using the material and do nothing
to gain money or business from them.  There has to be no business
conflict pursuant to your using that material (like if I put the Nike
logo on hand-made tennis shoes to sell at a craft fair).  And they will
want to make sure that your use of the material will not reflect
negatively on their business (a hard-drinking, trouble-making biker
group calls themselves "The Wal-Mart Regulars").  And the material must
not be profaned (the Pillsbury Dough Boy slamming a can of ale).

That is my professional opinion.

In my personal opinion, I don't think it will cause us any trouble to
use Triumph or RAF elements to signify a non-profit organization that
honors Triumphs!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan  :)