Re: Lug nut diameter, please

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lug nut diameter, please
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 12:06:52 -0800 (PST)

for what it's worth, i have a 1972 mkIV with steel wheels.  my lugnuts are the
chrome caped nuts and an 11/16" socket fits snug on the outside.  i also know
that the lug thread size is 3/8-24.  now, if your adapter nuts are shorter in
length than your steel wheel nuts, they won't hold as much torque.  also if you
over torque them when installing your adapters, they would be more prone to
failure.

hope this helps some.

--- Jeff McNeal <jmcneal@ohms.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Based upon my unsavory experience of having my wheel fall off yesterday when
> the hub nuts stripped off the hub bolts, I've contacted Victoria British to
> see how they want to rectify the problem.  Before I did, I compared the hub
> adapter nuts that I purchased from them against my standard hub nuts that
> came with the car which had steel wheels attached.  Both are identical in
> size: 11/16ths.
>
> Either the PO had the wrong nuts installed for steel wheels or someone at VB
> packaged standard hub nuts instead of the special ones that I ordered for
> the hub adapter (part no. 12-8046, page 138 of catalog SG.29).  The most
> troubling aspect of this, is that the package was labeled 12-8046.
>
> Before refitting the new nuts, I had removed the old ones and set them aside
> several weeks ago and didn't really think about comparing them with the new
> hubnuts since I believed that they were correct.  When fitting the hub
> adapters last weekend, I simply grabbed the little baggie with the
> hand-written part number from VB and went ahead with my installation.
>
> I'd like to make certain that VB is in fact, at fault for sending the wrong
> diameter nuts.  I'm not looking for blood and I'm not a lawyer (nor do I
> wish to engage the services of one), but it seems to me that there is a
> certain liability issue here if the parts they sent were in fact, incorrect,
> yet correctly labeled, giving me every reason to believe that they were what
> I ordered.  Ideally, I would like VB to send the correct diameter nuts,
> replace all my wheel studs (to be on the safe side), reimburse my $48 towing
> fee and pay to have the minor fender damage repaired that was caused by the
> wheel dislodging.
>
> While I'm waiting for a callback from VB customer service, I'd appreciate it
> if someone can verify what the correct sizes are for standard and/or hub
> adapter nuts so I'm not wasting VB's time or tarnishing their reputation if
> they did in fact, send the correct parts.  Much obliged.
>
> Jeff in San Diego
> '67 RHD Spitfire Mk3

=====
nikolai jaremka