Re: engine noise

To: BJ Martin <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: engine noise
From: Richard Gosling <rbgos@perkins-engines.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 09:59:26 +0000
Brent,

I had a rattling noise on Daffy ('78 Spit 1500) - it turned out that the
crankshaft pulley was loose.  This was on a re-conditioned engine that
had only been fitted 11 months previously.  Looks like whoever
re-conditioned it hadn't got their torque wrench set quite right!

This may be less likely, as I cannot see why the noise would reduce
after the engine has been run for a while as yours seems to, but it
could be worth a check - similarly the pulleys and bearings on the water
pump and the alternator.

Richard Gosling
Daffy ('78 Inca Yellow Spit 1500)