help non lbc- but car related

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: help non lbc- but car related
From: "Patrick Bowen" <pabowen@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 18:48:44 -0500
I am working on a GMC S-15 with a 4.3 liter v-6 for a friend and am having
some trouble finding the exact problem.  The engine runs awful (104,000
miles) makes clanging noises while starting up.  It wasn't starting for them
but I have had no trouble.  The engine seams to be a basket case, I
performed compression tests and the best I can figure the rings are going
and the valves are leaking more oil than the Exxon Valdez.  The compression
tests came up at 150, 145, 130, 150, 150, 120 with the two low compression
pistons being on opposite corners of the engine so there is no relation.
The sump is full of water and the radiator void of the same.  When pulling
the plug on the piston that showed 120 it was rusted in there pretty good
(in fact in broke on the way out) .  Obviously there is a water leak, It
does not seam like it is a head gasket though, to me the compression tests
would show a much more drastic change, would it not??  I am thinking that
the problem is not with the head gasket but is instead a cracked head or
block.  My question is would this make sense, I do not want to recommend
scrapping an engine (in this case it would be the car) if all that is wrong
is a head gasket.  Can anyone reassure me on this, does anyone have any
particular experience with this engine.  By the way it is a 1988 truck.

Thanks alot
Patrick Bowen