Spitfires at LeMans

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfires at LeMans
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 11:10:20 -0500
Spitfirers,
Speedvision had a show with the above mentioned title, on their "History of
Autocross" of what I seem to remember was a
1964 race at LeMans in which Standard Triumph unveiled the Spitfire coupe.
3 of them raced and only one finished (one I believe was taken out/wrecked
by an american driven vehicle).

They kept refering to the car as a Spitfire, but it had a GT6 hard-top
body. My question is, were they curtailing the name of the car (dropping
the GT6) or were they actually 4 cylinder engines in the GT6 body? I also
recollect that they stated the "Spitfire" that finished averaged around 90+
km per hour during the 24 hour race.

Just curious,
Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500